The project brief : To Develop a Positive Approach to Learning
‘The focus for this training is to develop children’s emotional literacy so that they a better able to cope with the social and formal learning situations that they encounter as part of their school lives. This is a developmental psychology programme that equips children and young adults with the self-awareness, skills and resources that they need to flourish in life.’
The objectives of this training were as follows:
* To facilitate the progress of vulnerable groups of pupils and pupils who cope with challenging social and emotional contexts.
* To develop pupil’s self- awareness so that they can manage their behaviour across a range of social and learning contexts.
* To improve pupil’s sense of self -worth so that they feel confident in social and formal learning situations.
* To help pupils to feel positive about themselves in a social and learning situation
* To enable pupils to express their feelings in a heathy way and develop the capacity to talk to others about how they feel thus reducing the anxiety that may be experienced in a social or learning situation
* To enable pupils to seek help in the context of social or formal learning contexts so that they can achieve their potential.
* To enable pupils to talk about their social and learning behaviour and the impact that this has on their lives.
* To enable pupils to manage negative emotions that may be associated with social or learning situations.
* To enable pupils to see error or perceived failure as part of the learning process
* To Increase pupil’s motivation to achieve their own personal goals.
In order to achieve these objectives, the following was undertaken:
* An introductory session for staff involved in the programme
* Six training session of up to 40 minutes each for up to 10 children grouped accordingly
* 3 session across an afternoon to cater for a class of up to 30 pupils split into groups of up to 10
* An opening self- evaluation of their aptitudes at the outset of the project and a closing evaluation following the 6 sessions
* Tracking the impact of the training on three pupils in order to ascertain the effectiveness of the project
As an outcome of this project we would expect to see the following for participating children:
* Improved progress as pupil develop their capacity to meet the challenges encountered in learning situations
* Improvements in co-operative and collaborative skills so that they are better able to learn from one another.
* Greater self-awareness for so that they can discuss their social and learning behaviours and how this impacts on their own development and those around them.
* An ability to identify positive things about themselves and their learning.
* Improved levels of engagement that has a positive impact on children’s motivation to make progress with their learning.
* An improved capacity to talk about how they feel in social or learning situations
* Improvements in concentration so children are less likely to be distracted from learning tasks.
* An improvement in their capacity to help themselves to progress or to achieve personal objectives.
* Increased confidence and capacity to self-manage in learning situations.
* Reduced anxiety in learning situations.
* Accelerated progress for some children across core areas of learning.
* The capacity to tolerate error and to learn from this.
Caroline is available for individual support for young people as well as Stress Management sessions/programmes for teaching staff who may be looking for:
- support in managing workloads or help with establishing a healthy work/life balance and sense of control
- advice on the psychological impact of any current climate issues on children or adults within your school such as bullying, self harming, Generalised Anxiety Disorders or depression.
- help with understanding any ‘difficult’ behaviour
- help in understanding self awareness and self management: Sessions will consist of training in how to develop this and avoid projection in the classroom
- help in understanding how to adapt to the differences in how information is processed by the child aged 4-11 and effect positive communication
- help with regard to a child already identified with personal differences such as Aspergers/ADHD
- support on a personal level providing confidential therapy tailored to their needs from a single session onwards
- motivational coaching sessions for either professional or personal gain such as smoking cessation, weight management, healthy eating
- help in coping with ongoing pain issues or any other chronic illness such as CFS, Fibromyalgia or ME
- help to analyse, pinpoint and where possible, resolve problem areas within the working environment. Or help with resolving conflict.
- to gain a better understanding of any other psychological/practical training programme already in place via other means, often enhanced with bite sized one- off sessions
- relaxation sessions and learning how to use self hypnosis
- Grief Counselling or Trauma Debriefing